About Me

Ever since I took up photography, I’ve always been drawn to street photography more than any other genre because it gives a genuine look into the real world. Of course this argument could be made about photography as a whole, but I feel it’s different with street photography specifically. Other types of photos like portraits, still life, or landscape all feel staged to me (and usually they are) and doesn’t give off the impact or spontaneity that street photography provides. With this kind of photography, it’s just real people living out their real lives and not much else. And yet they can be some of the most fascinating scenes ever captured through a camera lens. Even simple, mundane activities like cars waiting at a red light or a man riding his bike can tell a compelling story or conjure a certain emotion.

I’d say most of this fascination can be attributed to seeing really old historical photos in textbooks, which I could relate to much more than illustrations or paintings of certain events. While these illustrations were clearly exaggerated or manipulated in some way, the old photographs simply showed a glimpse of history as it really looked, which always intrigued me. It made me feel as if I was looking through a window into the past, which is what I try to emulate in my work, by providing a window into urban life you may be familiar - or unfamiliar - with.

I tend to compose my photos with high detail and contrast to make the different elements of the picture stand out from each other. Sometimes I utilize color in my images, but if I feel it’s not necessary for a certain scene, I’ll switch to black-and-white. Real life has its own ups and downs, so I try to make the use of color (or lack thereof) reflect the mood of the scene.

Comments

Popular Posts