My Best Street Photography Work (So Far)

I've been taking quite a number of photos in Downtown Spokane recently, so I figured I would compile for you what I consider my best work in Riverfront Park and beyond.

This was actually one of my earlier photos, taken for my high school photography class somewhere around 2015-16. Seems I already adopted my style of photography quite early in my career.
 
Another picture taken during my high school years, although this one probably isn't very 'street photography-ey'. Both this and the image above were taken during a field trip Downtown. If you can believe it, this was actually taken inside the Pavilion before it was renovated. If you've taken a trip there recently, you'll definitely be able to see how much they spruced it up from what it once was.

Finally for some more recent stuff, as in 2020 onwards. Despite what better judgement and sound advice has told me, I've always been drawn towards dark alleyways like this one. They give off such a different vibe from the rest of the city, as if they're a gateway to a different realm.

Hmm, seems I happened to snap a picture of a fellow photographer! Ironically, I find scenes like this interesting in how uninteresting they seem. They show the downtime of people's lives that are either leading up to or suggesting a bigger action. This man is probably heading to (or heading home from) some kind of photoshoot, and is currently just going about his business.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, this photo is simply interesting by the subject matter alone. As you stare at it enough, you begin to wonder the circumstances that led up to it. Why is this jacket hanging from a tree? How long has it been up there? Who does it belong to? Did they place it there on purpose? Or did it just happen to get snagged by a rogue branch? Do they even care that it's gone? Will they try to get it back? All the interesting things that can go on in a city like this.

I always love to try and incorporate juxtaposition and irony into my photos whenever possible. It's such a universally understood concept that those who don't even care for photography can understand its appeal, as it can be humorous at times while establishing a very recognizable connection between the juxtaposed subjects.

Another example of juxtaposition, though much more visual than the previous image. I was walking through Riverfront Park taking photos one day, and came across a miniature replica of a Japanese lighthouse, apparently for the Sister Cities "Connections" Garden. I didn't know that at the time, and just thought to myself, "Well this doesn't seem to belong here." I utilized this confusion by positioning it next to some more generic city buildings in the background to contrast them.

I wanted to experiment a bit more with this lighthouse miniature, I found it that interesting. In hindsight, I think this one portrayed juxtaposition better. Not only are the two structures juxtapositioned by their shapes and features, but also by their cultural backgrounds; a turn-of-the-century American clock tower next to an Edo-period Japanese lighthouse.

I figured I'd end off with the photo I'm most proud of, simply for how spur-of-the-moment it is, which is a big aspect to how effective street photography can be. This sort of stuff can't really be planned or manipulated, which makes it all the more amazing when it does happen. Again, it's a juxtaposition photo, and my personal favorite of its type. It's more effective here in grayscale, but even with the original color version, all the cars were the same colors as they appeared in the photo.

Comments

Popular Posts